The Michigan Onion Promotion and Development Program was established in February 1977. This PA232 program required a vote of the onion growers in Michigan to be established and requires a vote every 5 years to continue the program.
The purpose of the program is to improve the economic position of Michigan onion growers by creating greater marketing opportunities for their product. This is accomplished through supporting research, conducting advertising and promotion programs, assembling and disseminating marketing information, and expanding the markets for Michigan onions.
The Michigan Onion Promotion and Development Program established the Michigan Onion Committee to perform the function of administering the program.
- Chairman: Bruce Klamer, Kent County
- Vice Chariman: Eric Schreur, Ottawa County
- Kristin Oomen, Mason County
- Michael Bosch, Allegan County
- Dan Steenwyk, Allegan County
Board members are appointed by the Governor of Michigan and serve terms of 3 years.
- Executive Director: Val Vail-Shirey